Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Assistive Software.



Bridget Bate Tichenor.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridget_Bate_Tichenor

Today I had a very good appointment with my occupational therapist and Herman from HES, finally had a demonstration of Brainfingers.

It was very interesting to see how it worked; basically it reacted to eyebrows being lifted, my chin moving, even just clenching my jaw.

Also to laughing or other emotions such as visualisation or eye movements, did not get to writing or moving between applications.

Herman got me to do various exercises, play some games, he reckoned that I did well, nice to hear, mind you I could not see that myself.

Text gets entered using an application called Dasher, which is free & available on the internet



When I found information about Dasher on the internet, in the second link, I found out abut an application called Gaze tracker which can be used with Dasher.


This is a low cost, open source eye tracking device, it looks very interesting and I can’t wait to try it out.

Herman will be back to show me another eye tracking software called Seetech, which I am looking forward to trying out.




  
It was an interesting appointment this afternoon, it has made me feel more relaxed, knowing that there is so much assistive software available.
  

7 comments:

Travelogue for the Universe said...

Best wishes on your new assistive devices! "AT". Love, Mary

Herrad said...

Hi Mary,
I have not got anything yet, we are looking at everything that is available and trying it out, see which one is best for me.
I hope to fing something soom.
Thanks for your visit and comment.
Have a pleasant thursday.
Love,
Herrad
ps it has got colder again here, over Easter weeken I was wearing a long sleeved t shirt, even utside, now back to wearing my fleece top.

Enjoying the Ride said...

Herrad,

My interest in these devices grows as my hands continue to weaken. Thanks for doing the homework for people like me.

Mitch

Herrad said...

Hi Mitch,
Thanks for your visit and kind comment.
There is also Dragon naturally speaking version 10, which can navigate betweqen applications, the professional versi7on doe mhore.
I think a micture of things would be best to cover all bases.
Love,
Herrad

awb said...

That is so cool, good to know there are options. Also good to see you are doing well,

Andy

Webster said...

I'm happy you're getting advice and assistance with this. Here's to hand's free blogging in your near future. I surely would miss you if you weren't posting.

Herrad said...

Hi Andy,
Thanks for coming by, good to see your comment.
I was very interested to hear about Dasher and Gazetracker.
I may also try a joystick instead of a mouse might be easier to grip.
Hope you are doing well.

Hi Webster,
Thank for coming by, hate to think of not being able to write my blog, communicate with you.
Hope we skype sometime too.

Thanks to you two friends for coming by, good to see you comment.
Love,
Herrad