Sunday, March 28, 2010

Greeves 250 cc Sport Motorbike






Richie and I stayed up very late last night we were having a great time looking at pictures of Greeves Motorcycles.

It was very nice to see the pictures of some of the models that the Greeves Motorcycle Company made.

I had a 250 cc Greeves Sports, two stroke; it was a great motorbike, I was incredibly lucky to get mine from a motorcycle enthusiast.

He sold it to me for the grand sum of 20 pounds in 1973, recall he was extremely pleased that I wanted to buy it.

In 1973 the bikes that were becoming popular were the Japanese bikes which were streamlined or people rode established British bikes like Triumph Bonneville or BSA or Norton.

When I just had the bike I recall that the first couple of times that I had a go, that I could not change gear and drove around in first gear.

It was a big day when I changed up into second gear and back down to first in order to stop.

Luckily I found a motor cycle training course where I and a large group of other people were taught how to ride our bikes.

They also showed us how to do the maintence on our motor bikes, there was a shed where we watched the tutor strip down and reassemble a motor bike.

It was an excellent course, one where I met and made new friends, the people helping out on the course were members of a local Triumph Owner’s Motorcycle Club.

They were a great bunch of people and I had good fun and splendid times with the Triumph Owner’s Club.

The best memories are of going to the Isle of Man to see the TT Races, and to the local speedway and local scrambling events.

Fine memories now.








1960's classic scramble / motocross event.
Murray Walker commentary.

The riders are Jeff Smith Dave Bickers Lampkin and Rickman were racing on Greeves BSA Triumph 500cc 250cc and 440cc machines.






A video recording the Greeves Motorcycles 50th Annivesary at Battlesbridge, including a road run to the old factory building at Thundersley.
A video recording the Greeves Motorcycles 50th Annivesary at Battlesbridge, including a road run to the old factory building at Thundersley.

10 comments:

soulful sepulcher said...

Hi Herrad,

Love the flower boxes! I have a few hyacinth bulbs that have bloomed, most now are leaves beginning to bud in the yard on trees etc.

Very cool that you rode a motorcycle, took the class and all.

HUGS

mortonlake said...

think i would stick with my hondas lol.passed my motor bike test years before car,had several new bikes.last was 750 super dream.or super nightmare.went back to 175 twin lol.slower,heavier,safer.now,give me 4 wheels.and a heater in winter and air con in summer.lol.tc love mort xx

Herrad said...

Hi Stephany,
Thanks nfor your visit and comment.
The flowers are gorgeous.
Having the Greeves was very good.

Hi Mort,
Thanks for your visit and comment.
Should have realised you used to have a bike.
A 750 too! sounds good.
Keep warm, cos I hear winte ris making a come back specal for Easter.

Thanks both of you for coming by,
good mto see your comments,
Hope you both had a good weekend.
Love,
Herrad

Anonymous said...

What wonderful memories - priceless for sure, what a nice way to measure time, being able to buy a motorbike for twenty pounds.

Wish me wife would allow me a bike here, but she says Athens is a much to dangerous city to be on just two wheels.

A wonderful start into the new week for you all.

Hilary said...

I'm not a big fan of motorcycles but I understand the appeal. I am however a big fan of flowers and yours are quite lovely.

Webster said...

Hey there biker girl - your little daffs are eager for Easter I see. The flower table looks so sweet. I bet it smells nice too.


P.S. speaking of biker girl - do you have any tattoos? :-)

Have Myelin? said...

They had a news segment on CBS Sunday Morning News about the Harley Davidson women. Woohoo they looked hot! =)

Herrad said...

Hi Robert,
Thanks for coming by and leaving your lovely comment.
Amazing isn't it a motorbike for 20 pounds.

Hi Hilary,
Thanks for your visit and comment.
The flowers are great really cheerful.

Hi Webster,
No tattoos too worried by needles, liked the ideas only.
Thanks for your comment and visit.

Hi Sherry,
Wish I could see the Harley women.
Thanks for your comment and visit.

Thanks you 4 lovely friends for coming by.
Have a good Tuesday.
Love,
Herrad

Amrita said...

Love your phots Herrad and the bike

Herrad said...

Hi Amrita,
Thanks for your visit and comment, glad you like the bike.
Love
Herrad