Friday, January 01, 2010

New Year's Day 2010.












Indian Art.

Yesterday morning started with a bang when one of those Chinese fire crackers was set off right under my bedroom window.

After that at regular intervals during the day fireworks were let off, some very close others in nearby streets, but all very audible.

They were not our dog’s favourite sounds, but as Richie had them out early up to the woods for two hours so they were pretty relaxed about it.

Plus Richie got them new toys and tripe for their dinner last night and a whole bag of things dogs love to chew, so they had a good day.

In the early evening there were lots of fireworks being set off, it was funny how it all stopped rather dramatically when everyone went in for dinner.

My auntie Herrad phoned me very early to wish me a all the best fro 2010, it was nice talking to her.

From 8 pm there were more fireworks, this happened in waves, at times we had to turn up the music in order to hear the music.

What was pleasant was hanging in the front room with Richie; it was enjoyable to do the Motomed exercises next to the Christmas tree.

And to chat with Richie while he made our dinner, I phoned my auntie Sigrid in Canada, who immediately said, almost crossly but I was going to phone you tomorrow.

When I told her that I needed to hear her voice right there and then she did not keep protesting, in fact she sounded rather pleased.

Also phoned two friends, one in Liverpool, our dear friend Wally and the other Frits in France, and John in Glasgow, sadly none have computers so can not stay in touch via e-mail or Skype.

I ask them hopefully each year if they have a computer but to date they do not, even been trying to persuade my auntie Sigrid in Canada to get online.

She herself says it is a shame she does not have a computer as we could be in touch so quickly and easily, she reckons now she is in her late 70’s that it is too late for her to learn now.

It was lovely speaking to my auntis and these good friends, at the bells at midnight I called a few people, most were not home, spoke to my good friend Angela in Devon, she sounded good.

Then we watched Jools Holland’s Hootenanny, his New Year Eve Special which was brilliant, Tom Jones and Kelly Jones from the Stereophonic’s dueted together which was very good.

Dizzie Rascal and Kasabian played, and Dave Edmunds, Paloma Faith, Florence and The Machine, Paolo Nuttini and two amazing guitarists.

It was a great show that lasted for two hours of good music and Jools talking to various well known folk.

All in all it was a very enjoyable night last night, at midnight there was not the barrage of noise as per usual, instead there were some fireworks and every now and then there were big bangs.

Nothing like last year and all the years since 1982 when at midnight a barrage of fireworks would start and would last until at least 2 am and some years until 3 am.

Last night it only lasted for 30 minutes and by 1 am it was all over, seems it was too cold with a mean north easterly wind and snow.

I got quite tidily from the rum in the early evening and at midnight drank lots of proseccio and inhaled lots of THC, it was a very good night here.

Today is a beautiful bright sunny and extremely cold crisp day, so far it is quiet with few people no the streets.

I woke up having slept soundly, despite feeling all the usual pain I am feeling good today and enjoying the afternoon sun.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You had a great evening! Well, except the loud fire crackers, I hate those things. This morning I'm feeling good and ready to tackle any challenge ahead! Where in Canada does your aunt live btw?

Unknown said...

Sounds like a pretty nice evening to me....the Wookie and I stayed home this year for a change (well, we went out for dinner first) and the fireworks only lasted 20 minutes or so at midnight.

Looking forward to seeing more pics of you in the new year! Perhaps doing your exercises?

S.

Libby said...

what a nice relaxing new year's eve........tv & drinks & love! i watched the twilight zone marathon again this year...i love that! it was SO cold last night, i was happy to stay home!

Travelogue for the Universe said...

We stayed in but heard bangs off in the distance, guns or fireworks. Not unusual in the wild west of Monkton, Vermont.We kept the tree up to welcome the new year, new decade.Best wishes again and always, Love, Mary

soulful sepulcher said...

Sounds like a nice New Year's eve, glad you were able to hang w Richie and talk to family and friends, Happy New Year to you both!

A said...

Dear Herrad:

"I got quite tidily from the rum in the early evening and at midnight drank lots of proseccio and inhaled lots of THC, it was a very good night here."

I am profoundly thankful that Richie was there to help you down after that naked swinging & hanging chandelier incident. lol....now today you will have the "hangover" and naughty photos to deal with.

I hope this New Year brings you great joy, peace, and happiness.

mortonlake said...

bloody fireworks.pratt in big house up road every year goes mad with them.this year,peace.made a nice change.happy new year herrad.neither of us knows what 2010 is going to bring,but lets try and kick its ass while we can lol.love mort xxx

Herrad said...

Hi Rain,
Lovely to see your comment.
Hope you enjoyed your Old Year's eve.
We had a laugh and the dogs were pretty calm and happy despite the fireworks.
Best wishes for 2010.
My auntie Sigrid lives in Vancouver, which sounds a great place, sea and mountains
.
Hi Shauna,
Thanks for your visit and comment, your evening sounded good.
I look forward to visiting your blog and seeing your photos.
Will get Richie to take some photos of me using the Motomed.
Best wishes for 2010.

Hi Libby,
Lovely to see your comment, thanks for coming by.
Old Year's eve watching the Twilight Zone sounds good fun.
It is getting very cold now, hope you are keeping warm.
Best wishes for 2010.

Hi Mary,
Thanks for coming by, it is always good to see your comment.
Hope you had a a good evening no Thursday/
Blimey either fireworks or pistol shots!
Think the latter would make me very nervous.
All the best for 2010.

Hi Stephany,
Thanks for your visit, hope your Old Year's eve was pleasant.
We had a good time here.
It was good talking to my aunties and friends.
All the best for 2010.

Hi Stan,
Thanks for popping by and leaving your comment.
It was not the chandelier but a trapeze I swung from, my Old Year's eve arm exercises.
Hope you had a good time on Thursday.
Keep warm
Best wishes for 2010.

Hi Mort,
Lovely to see your comment, glad your neighbour was not driving you mad this year.
Hope you had a pleasant evening no Thursday and your mum did too.
You are right we do not know what will happen next so must make the most of now.
Let's enjoy while we can
Keep warm.
Best wishes for 2010 for you and your mum
.

Thanks everyone for coming by and leaving comments.
I hope that 2010 is a good year for you all.
Have a good weekend.
Best wishes for 2010.
Keep warm.
Love,
Herrad

Anonymous said...

Hi Herrad! Vancouver is beautiful! I don't think I'll get to visit that area on my trip this year, but I definitely want to go back in 2011. The West Coast of Canada is lovely, that was one of my choices actually before I moved to P.E.I., but the cost of living was a bit high for the area I wanted to live. Who knows? Maybe when I visit, I'll find a great spot to settle down (for a while ;-))

ADB said...

Happy New Year

Guido

Herrad said...

Hi Rain,
Thanks for coming by, good to see your comment.
Hope you are having a good day today.
Vancouver is well worth a visit, who knows where you will settle down, it is very exciting.
Keep warm.

Hello Guido,
Thanks for coming by, nice to see your comment.
Best wishes to you too for this New Year.

Thanks both of you for coming by and visiting my blog.
Really appreciate it very much.
Have a good weekend.
Love,
Herrad

Kimmy said...

Thank you so much- and Happy 2010 to you! I hope that you are well... things have started off well here in Minnesota. I have finally been recognized by the social security department as being disabled- so I will now receive help. I feel like i will finally be able to breathe now.
I wish you the best this year! Thanks for always checking in with me!

Herrad said...

Hi Kimmy,
Glad to hear you finally will get some help, good that the social security people acknowledge that you are disabled.
That is a good start to 2010 for you, hope it will get even better.
Keep warm.
Love,
Herrad